Sunday, December 20, 2009

Spinach and Smoked Gouda Quiche

My husband and I typically visit with out of state family during the holidays so we have our own Christmas the day before we leave. I like waking up to a nice big mug of hot chocolate and a great breakfast (and presents of course!) and that breakfast is traditionally a quiche. When I showed this recipe to my husband he asked if I could add some meat to it, of course :) I threw in some hot Italian sausages and he was happy, as was I! This recipe is from The Food Network.














Ingredients
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
10 oz of spinach, frozen
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 cups half and half
4 oz grated Gouda cheese (about 1 cup)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
3/4 cup scallions
1 tsp paprika
2 hot Italian sausages, castings removed
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a 9 inch glass pan with butter and sprinkle with half the parmesan on top. Place the pan on a baking sheet. Remove casting from sausage. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add sausages and cook for 7 to 9 minutes until no longer pink. Chop into bite sized pieces. Squeeze the spinach to remove excess water. Put spinach in a food processor along with the eggs, egg yolks, gouda, nutmeg, half and half, flour, salt and pepper to taste. Pulse about 30 seconds. Add scallions and pulse briefly to mix. Add cooked sausages and mix by hand. Pour into the baking dish and top with remaining parmesan. Bake for 40 minutes and serve.

I made this dish the night before and it came out perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment