Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chicken Cheddar Corn Chowder

Say that three times fast :) Whenever I got out to dinner I usually end up changing something on my order. For instance, I'll order a cheeseburger, but I'll ask the server to swap out the hamburger for chicken, change the American cheese to Provolone, and add sauteed onions. Or I may order a Chicken Caesar salad, but ask for the dressing on the side and no, not Caesar dressing, but blue cheese with extra "clumps." I guess it's no surprise that my restaurant ordering habits transcend into my cooking-from-a-recipe habits. With most recipes I've found I need to switch it up a bit to get it exactly perfect. This recipe is no exception. I read some reviews, added a few extra ingredients, and made it my own. The original recipe is by Ina Garten.

Ingredients
8 oz bacon, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
6 cups chopped yellow onions
4 carrots, chopped (added ingredient)
2 celery stalks, chopped (added ingredient)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (added ingredient)
1/2 stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
8 cups chicken stock
6 cups white potatoes, peeled (about 2lbs)
7 cups corn
2 cups half and half
12 oz white cheddar cheese (I used sharp cheddar)

Directions
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon in the olive oil until crisp, about five minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set to the side. Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter, onions, carrots, and celery to the fat. Cook for 10 mintues until the onions are transluscent. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half, chicken, bacon and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment